Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Week 1 T2P

Even before GNA mentioned assessments when discussing today's T2P, I immediately thought that assessment was the most eye-opening experience that I had today as a student - soon to be educator. As soon as we began today's class, I could tell that our instructor was sizing up our abilities as future teachers by asking questions to make sure we understood the directions and cold calling on students to determine our level of engagement.

Most, and probably the most telling, assessments we experienced today were not formal (e.g. tests, quizzes, essays). The assessments consisted of how well we worked in groups, followed instructions, listened to our peers and professor, and connected the out of class work to class discussions.

Today's class taught me a lot about how powerful non-traditional, informal assessments can be. I found today's class much more challenging and engaging than any unit test of 3-5 page paper. My experience as a student in GNA's class has given me a lot of good ideas on how to use assessments to continually track the progress of my students and ensure that they are understanding and connected to the content.

No comments:

Post a Comment