Thursday, July 7, 2011

Session 6 Reflection

I knew that I wanted to incorporate technology into my classroom, but wasn't sure of how to effectively do so. Before I started this class, I was imagining that I would create SMART Notebook lessons, play movie clips, and have students blog instead of using a writing journal. My horizons have certainly expanded since taking this course. I am familiar with many more Web 2.0 tools and content-relevant websites that will not only deepen students' learning, but will also engage and motivate students.  

Most of the things I learned this semester will help me help students' develop their 21st century skills. I had never heard of Internet Workshop, Internet Inquiry projects, or a wiki before I started this class. Now, I am confident that I can use these concepts and tools to enhance student learning. I now have the tools and knowledge to make an introductory movie to a unit or create a SMART Board lesson. While I have the knowledge to use all of this great technology, I will not introduce it all to students right away. For example, I probably won't have students create a 5 minute film using iMovie, but I could have them create a movie using Animoto or Digital Storyteller. Storytelling using technology is a fun activity for students, and also deepens their understanding of the content. The one thing I probably won't use in class is the Voki. While it is fun, I'm not sure it is something I would have my students create or something that I would put on my class wiki.

I've had a fairly easy time using most of the technology we worked on in class with the exceptions being SMART Notebook, Garage Band, and iMovie. I was a little terrified of those applications when I started working on my projects. However, I learned by trial-and-error and was able to pick up the basics. I feel much more comfortable using the technology that we worked on this semester. In fact, I've already started teaching my husband how to create and edit a film in iMovie!


No comments:

Post a Comment